Tuesday 1 January 2013

Fenrir's new leather dog collar

It's been a long time since I got to do some 'proper' leatherwork.
2 operations this year, spaced so I wasn't quite over the first 1, before the next occured, made being physically able to carve quite difficult.
So the only things I have done this year were 3 guitar strap commissions. Whilst I love doing this, you are constrained by what you are asked to do, so I never really feel like it's MY work. 

Also the last custom guitar strap was poorly received, I knew when I took it on that I didn't like request. There was nothing artistic or colourwise that I liked. it was one I should have passed on as I think my distaste for it showed in the final product. This knocked my confidence though, despite teaching me a lesson. 

Anyway, today I decided I was going to make something I've been saying I'll do for 6 years! making my dog a collar.

For those who don't know the Norse Myth of Fenrir the wolf, he was the Son of Loki & a naughty tike. Well worth a google or read of the Prose Edda if you don't know the full story.
Anyway my Fenrir is aptly named.



It is the first carved leather dog collar I have ever made. Fen has been very intrigued all day as to what I have been doing with his original collar. Though I fear if I put it on him tonight he will want WalKiEs too.... he has also had three operations this year on a broken cruciate ligament..... I think we might wait until tomorrow.
It's been a strange relationship with he &I having our surgeries so close together, luckily our recovery seems quite well timed too, as we've managed 3 reasonably long walks together over the christmas holiday.
Hopefully, his new collar will be a good omen for us both.

No comments:

Post a Comment